Sunday, July 16, 2017

Heart full

So much has happened, but its all these moments that my heart clings too. They are nothing extraordinary, but very special.

Thursday I went to San Jose with my abuelo and he showed me where to find a bus stop and then we went to the pharmacy which is in an old imperial (the beer of Costa Rica) plant, that was converted when the hospital needed more space. It was pretty cool, and I never would have guessed they used to ship beer out of there. Then we walked around the city and into a couple churches, and he helped me get a few gifts that I wanted to buy yet. I never get tired of exploring the crowed streets of San Jose with venders and sellers everywhere. My host-grandpa is 20 years younger than my actual grandpa, so it is a different experience to have a grandpa with so much energy and physical capabilities.

Friday Maria and I went to San Jose to volunteer at fundación Grítalo. Our professor gave us the wrong directions and told us it was in a slightly more dangerous part of town, so after riding around in a taxi for nearly an hour we got out, paid our fare and went to McDonald's to get some WiFi. Thankfully our taxi driver was very friendly and did not charge us the full amount because he knew we were going to volunteer. After a shady experience in the sketchy McDonald's we decided to walk to the place, which was in the complete opposite direction as our professor told us. We accidentally walked down the most dangerous street in San Jose, but we made it by the grace of God to fundación Grítalo. I was thrilled to discover it is a Christian ministry and we spend the afternoon serving food, cleaning, and entertaining children from the street. It was by far my best day here, and it was so hard to leave. The place ended up being not even two blocks from the bus stop that we got off at that morning.... I must make a disclaimer though, it was completely our idea to go, and we knew the risk involved, it was in no way encouraged by our program or program staff.

Saturday was my host-sisters 6th birthday and true to Costa Rican culture, it was huge! I spent the morning making chocolate covered marshmallow centerpieces, and helping load up the vehicles with food. We arrived at the trampoline park at 1:30, the party started at 2 pm, and we didn't finish setting up until at least 2:30, but that is what it is like here. Some of the guests didn't come until after 3 pm anyway. We passed our chips, drinks, and snacks to the parents while the children went off to jump. Then we prepared coffee and passed our pastries to all the adults to eat while the children played. We assembles hot dog plates and passed those out to the children when they returned, then we sang happy birthday, broke the pinata, and passed out gift bags to the 26 children that were present. Finally we passed out all of the seven types of desserts, drinks, and everyone took photos with the birthday girl. What a party, unfortunately I have no photos because my phone got submerged in water from my water bottle just before the party. I am thankful I had the opportunity to help out and be part of this special day. When we were leaving the party and walking with all of the family, Anahí came and held my hand as we walked to the car, and I am not sure that anyone else noticed, but my heart sure did. She has become very special to me in such a short amount of time.

Saturday evening we went to explore Heredia by night with a local friend and it was neat to be able to walk the streets after dark with no fear. We also went dancing a bit, which I will also greatly miss the Latin American dances. Nearly every single one of the people in this country actually know how to dance! They also enjoy laughing at the polka, which they told me, "we do not do that here."

Today I went for a long walk with my abuelo through the countryside and city. It was a crazy walk up hill and down hill and all around. We walked a huge loop and it took us nearly two hours. A neighbor of theirs just stopped when they saw us about a mile from home and took us home. The friendliness and randomness of this culture never ceases to amaze me.

My host-parents taught me how to make Choriatas, which is tortillas made from fresh corn, salt, and milk. They are amazing and I am looking forward to making them when I get back! I spent the afternoon with my sister, cousin, parents, and grandparents. When everyone lives so close, you just spend time in everyone's houses and eating at everyone's table. It just feels so right to be so surrounded by this culture, but its also hard because I have less than a week left here with them. I also taught my sister and cousin how to polka, and they loved it so at least I am not alone now. It was also a way to pay them back for all the help they give me with my Spanish.

As the days are growing fewer, my heart is growing fuller, but so is the excited, but sadness of leaving. This is going to be harder than I thought, and my sister told me this evening, "I don't want you to leave." If I am being honest I don't either, but my heart is torn.

No comments:

Post a Comment